Saturday, December 6, 2008

Phooson

Last night was Phooson...a pop music festival named for its original geographic location...somewhere between Phoenix and Tucson. It was at Desert Sky Pavilion this time. (or Cricket Wireless, if your nasty) Anyways...I was actually pleasantly not revolted by the acts that evening. The lighting was ok...and at least the music didn't make me want to put nails in my face. That could have partially been due to the fact that a lot of it was lip synced...and instrument synced. But, its pop...who cares? The 13 year old girls certainly did not. Neither did the 40 year old men next to them at the front of stage looking up the Pussycat Girl's skirts. Classy.


Jessie McCartney...I don't know...it was like one New Kid on the Block to me. But he put on a good enough show. The girls loved it.


Katy Perry, also surprisingly not bad. I actually had not yet heard her controversial hit single "I kissed a girl and I liked it". Her music was sort of like, kinda rebellious? But not too outright sexual. She was at least entertaining. And in season with her red santa dress and elf bandmates.




Tokio Hotel...lots of backing tracks. Out right annoying and boring. And I know its been said a million times...but when the singer was right in front of me, I seriously had to take a double take. He is very feminine....and all the makeup didn't help. But, it's a look. He's on TV.



Pussycat Dolls. A bore. All CD. Not even a fake back up band. Yes, they were scantly clad and they could sort of dance...but why see them live?




Fall Out Boy...they could jam. I was impressed with the showy-ness. I mean, it's good to see that people in a real band can play and be that excited. They put on a good show. All the girls went bonkers when Pete Wentz's face showed up on the jumbotron. Yea, thats what I call it.


Rihanna was good. She put on a good show. Had decent lighting, she danced, a cool real backing band. Just a bit more production than everyone else, which I enjoy. And so does my camera.

All in all, I left with some good pics and my ears weren't hurting. A good night.

Check out all the photos on the New Times page here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I almost went as a spectator, but eh, not very happy times here at the Republic with tons of layoffs and moving people around. I thinks it's time I started my career as a freelance concert photographer. Ha!

You got some good shots though.