Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Meat Loaf @ Celebrity Theatre



Meat Loaf... he's sort of one of those pop icons that I can identify, but can't really tell you more than one or two things about. Similar to Paris Hilton... or Ronald Reagan. However, I was kind of glad when I got the assignment. Then I heard it was at Celebrity Theatre, and I think my face sort of shrugged.





I like the Celebrity Theatre, in theory... but in practice, not so much. I've only actually sat and watched a few shows there, even tho Frankie Valli is the only one that comes to mind at present, and from a watcher's perspective it works nicely. But from a working photographer's POV, the staff is unorganized, and no one is on the same page in regards to what I'm allowed to do. So pretty much every show at least one security guard tries to strong arm me and tell me I'm "not allowed to shoot from here", or I "need to stay out of peoples way", or I "can't chew that brand of gum in the building". Bitch bitch bitch, I know.





For Mr. Loaf, the stage that usually rotates, was made stationary to accommodate a video screen at the back of the building. I didn't know what to expect from him. I really honestly only know the "But I won't do that" song... and I know his real name is Robert Paulson. So I was a bit shocked to hear the high pitched voice that came out of him when he sang some ruddy epic-sounding songs. (Reference "Bat out of Hell") He put on a good show, he was on pitch as far as I could tell... I didn't notice any dropped notes... and neither did the audience.



Lighting at the Celebrity usually consists of 3 spot lights on the lead singer, with a few scattered colored cans on the band. It was the same deal for Meat Loaf... but the added color from the video screen made for some nice contrast when I was able to squeeze it in frame. One pleasant surprise was seeing Danny Miranda on bass. He played bass on the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour. Good to see him working! He was in the dark corner of the stage, so he was hard to photograph. But all around, a pretty decent shoot.

What, specifically "won't" he do?? I never worked that out.



No comments: